Photo of 2016-2017 Peer Ministers
Who are Student Peer Ministers?
UMass Dartmouth Catholic Campus Ministry Peer Ministers are a team of undergraduate student leaders within Campus Ministry committed to the Gospel call to love and serve our neighbors. The primary responsibility of the Peer Minister is to live out the Gospel message through outreach to the student body by:
- Offering welcoming, guidance, compassion, and faith-filled support for their peers.
- Providing a safe place for peers to question, ponder, explore, grow, and develop
- Inviting students to opportunities for spiritual development and faith awareness through prayer, faith sharing, and religious and spiritual programs and activities
- Conduct spiritual/catechetical programs and activities such as:
EMBARK – A two day retreat held in the summer.
NOVUS – pre-arrival two day program
for incoming freshman in the fall
Freshman 5 – Five week sharing groups taking place in the fall.
2:42ers – regular faith sharing groups held on campus
Retreats – serve as team members on Charis Retreats
- Helping to build an inclusive and hospitable community
- Being available for listening and referral opportunities
- Empowering and engaging students to be leaders
Active participants on the Peer Minister Leadership Team will also have the opportunity to participate in our CorsairWorks Peer Minister Leadership Retreat held prior to NOVUS in August each year.
Qualifications/Requirements for Student Peer Ministers
- Motivation to serve their peers out of heartfelt compassion and concern for God’s people
- Be a positive role-model and witness to a life of faith on and off campus
- Desire to grow in faith and/or discern a call to ministry
- Participate in UMass Dartmouth Catholic Campus Ministry CorsairWORKS Peer Minister leadership training program.
- Peer Ministers meet monthly as a team, with the Campus Ministry staff.
- Each Peer Minister is expected to plan and implement at least one social and one spiritual/catechetical event/program during the school year. *
- Preference given to applicants who attended the Novus Program as a candidate, participated in Freshman Five, or are active in Campus Ministry programs.
Peer Minister Team Info and Training Sessions 2017
An information session for those selected as Peer Ministers is scheduled for 3 - 5 pm on:
Sunday, April 30, 2017
Peer Minister Training takes place on a week before the beginning of the fall semester. Resident Peer Ministers may move into their dorms early. Details available soon!
Questions? Contact Dcn. Frank Lucca - email@example.com.