In light of UMass D’s decision to suspend all in-person classes and other events, we wanted to provide some additional spiritual resources to aid us at this time.
Know that Fr David and I are available for online conversation/Spiritual Direction should you wish to take advantage of that. Contact us via email at Father.David@umassd.edu or email@example.com.
Take care of yourself and each other.
UMass D Newman Catholic Campus Ministry
Join us For Mass Online Daily!
Mass is streamed each morning at 8:00 am from St Mary’s Dartmouth. Fr David is the celebrant. You can access the live feed or recorded version at stmarysdartmouth.org.
Lent is a time of spiritual renewal, a time to reflect on how we have grown in our relationship with Christ, to acknowledge where we have fallen short and to recommit ourselves to loving the Lord with all of our heart, mind and being and loving our neighbor. During this time of uncertainty, we have the opportunity to commit ourselves a bit more to this work of spiritual renewal.
Throughout the United States many colleges and universities offer “Busy Student Retreats”. During a week of the semester students commit themselves to a half hour to an hour of prayer or spiritual activity each day. We would like to offer a variation of that during this time.
Participants would commitment to a time of prayer or spiritual activity each day. It could be joining in at Mass on the livestream, praying a rosary or the Liturgy of the Hours or reading Scripture for a half hour each day. In addition, participants are invited to watch a short video (Heroes of the Faith by Bishop Robert Barron) and join in a liveblog discussion on the video. For those who wish, spiritual direction could also be set up (via phone or GoToMeeting). Be involved in what you are able to.
If you would like to participate, please go to https://stmarysdartmouth.flocknote.com/UMassDBusyStudent
Mondays and Wednesdays 7:30PM to 8:30PM
This is a liveblog event that gives participants to ask any questions they may have about Catholicism, its teachings or its practice. Simply go to https://umassdcatholics.blogspot.com and the event will go live at 7:30PM.
Following the Call of Christ
Bishop Robert Barron uses 6 biblical stories of conversion to teach how Jesus approached ordinary people and called to a better life through him. A video will be emailed out on Monday morning
• Word On Fire Digital - stmarysdartmouth.flocknote.com (Click on the Word on Fire Banner in the dashboard; it contains all of Bishop Robert Barron’s Programs. FYI: We will be offering some online sessions using his minicourses for parishes)
• United States Conference of Catholic Bishops www.usccb.org You can find the readings for Mass, and a digital copy of the Scriptures.
• Magis Center - www.magiscenter.com Organization headed up by Fr. Robert Spitzer, SJ. Fr. Spitzer is the former President of Gonzaga University. A great resource for the use of science and philosophy in coming to know about God and growing in faith.
• https://stmarysdartmouth.blogspot.com - A blog set up by Fr. David. Will host some liveblog events and other resources.
• MyParish App. Various resources to help you grow spiritually, as well as news and updates from the Parish. Download the MyParish App from the Apple Store or Google Play.
• Check out this short article, “Mass Canceled? The Church is still at Prayer!” by Father Patrick Briscoe, O.P., for helpful tips on how to continue to pray, especially when we might have less access to Mass and the sacraments.
• Magnificat - https://us.magnificat.net/free - a monthly print and digital Catholic publication, is offering free access to their digital content due to these extenuating circumstances where many of the faithful may not be able to attend Mass. Magnificat provides daily readings, reflections from the Saints, and is a great companion to prayer.
• Hallow - https://hallow.app - a Catholic app for prayer, can be a great way to engage in our prayer lives in a new, digital way. Hallow provides daily guided meditations on various prayers, including the rosary, meditations on the daily Mass readings, and various musical playlist to help you settle into a prayerful mindset.
• FORMED.org is a Catholic website where you can access videos, films, and spiritual content on the teachings of the Church. It is a digital forum to study the faith.
• Matt Fradd – https://www.mattfradd.com - Pints with Aquinas: a Catholic show discussing culture, faith, and everything in between, asking how faith and reason come together in these various ways.
• Ascension Presents: an platform bringing faith-filled, entertaining and dynamic presenters straight to your newsfeed. By providing engaging content for our audience that reflects the good, the true and the beautiful we hope to bring their hearts closer to Christ.
Holy Virgin of Guadalupe,
Queen of the Angels and Mother of the Americas.
We fly to you today as your beloved children.
We ask you to intercede for us with your Son,
as you did at the wedding in Cana.
Pray for us, loving Mother,
and gain for our nation and world,
and for all our families and loved ones,
the protection of your holy angels,
that we may be spared the worst of this illness.
For those already afflicted,
we ask you to obtain the grace of healing and deliverance.
Hear the cries of those who are vulnerable and fearful,
wipe away their tears and help them to trust.
In this time of trial and testing,
teach all of us in the Church to love one another and to be patient and kind.
Help us to bring the peace of Jesus to our land and to our hearts.
We come to you with confidence,
knowing that you truly are our compassionate mother,
health of the sick and cause of our joy.
Shelter us under the mantle of your protection,
keep us in the embrace of your arms,
help us always to know the love of your Son, Jesus. Amen.
For those who wish, spiritual direction or a chat, email us to setup a time (via phone or GoToMeeting).
Fr David - firstname.lastname@example.org
Dcn Frank - email@example.com